Hey Gang -

I have a website that I will (hopefully) be launching soon in which several
people are already asking about being able to advertise on.  It would be
great if it were as easy as saying "pay me and I will put your ad on".
However, I find it hard to believe that it is.

I have looked all over Google for "help" but end up sitting for hours
looking through stuff that I'm not sure is even relevant.  Things that keep
coming to mind are:

- Do I as the owner charge a monthly rate (or yearly - whatever) or is the
norm now based on the number of clicks?  What about the number of visitors?
- What is the best way to track this?
- Do I present an invoice to the advertiser at the end of the time period
saying "you had 10,000 clicks, you owe me $$"? It would make more sense to
charge someone ahead of time, but on what grounds?  I think of it like the
newspaper - I don't ask them to deliver and let me look at it before
deciding if I want to buy.  Sure they may have 100 subscribers but maybe
they all throw that section away!
- Not to stray too far but is anyone using Google AdSense?

Specifics of the site include IIS6, ASP, SQL Server 2000.

I have several ideas but I don't want someone coming back to me and saying
"Wow, EVERYBODY else does it using X method".  Obviously I want to look as
professional as possible.

If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions, I would really appreciate it.
Anything to help me sleep better at night!  :)

Thanks!

Todd
(sitting here cold in) Omaha, NE