Have a look at these sites:

http://jaxmed.com/articles/wellness/mouseErgo.html

Note the angle of the forearm in the image...essentially flat.  It is
difficult to get this angle unless you have a very low desk or a dropped
keyboard tray (my recommendation - get an adjustable-height tray with a
mousepad attached to your dominant hand's side).  Ideally your wrist
should be an inch or so below your elbow for good blood flow; I use a
chair with an adjustable arm, and when my arm is resting on the chair
arm, my hand falls naturally on the mouse.  My keyboard is perhaps only
two inches above my lap when adjusted properly.  As others have stated,
set your mouse to be able to move to all four corners without moving
your wrist...only finger movements should be necessary.  Also, as in
this image, you'll want your monitor center somewhat below your eye
level.  Many places will tell you to place it at eye level but in the
long run you'll be more comfortable the other way.  The tops of my
monitors are about 2" above my eyes, and the centers about 4-5" below
eye center.

http://www.streamingmediaiq.com/resources/tips/1284-eMedia%20Tips.html

Not much here but something other places miss: if you use a mouse with a
rubber ball, clean it weekly, along with the rollers or whatever it uses
to sense motion.  I can't begin to tell you how many users I've helped
just by cleaning their mouse and speeding up the response.  It's not
very noticeable but the effort required to make a dirty mouse track well
is accumulative.  Better yet, get an optical mouse and run it on a
solid-color cloth-topped mousepad.  The solid color (I use a dark blue
or a dark red pad) will improve optical tracking, particularly with Dell
opticals.

Try various keyboards and mice...I've found that for myself, I prefer a
traditional straight keyboard over an ergonomic model (I don't use
typical number keying technique and the split keyboard throws me off),
and I prefer optical mice over trackballs (too much thumb movement).
These combinations have kept me relatively pain-free for many years of
programming.

But if you're to the pain stage, the ONLY thing that's going to work is
to stop whatever it is you're doing...right away.  Switch mouse hands.
Get your keyboard where it belongs.  Get a good chair (it doesn't have
to be expensive; you can get good-quality armed height-adjustable chairs
for less than $50 now).  Stop every five or ten minutes and flex your
wrists completely in circles.  Get your monitors where they belong and
get the refresh rates up as fast as they'll take; make sure the picture
is using the full size of the monitor screen as well.  Your face should
be at least two feet away from a screen.  If you're in acute pain (i.e.
it doesn't go away overnight and your wrist or arm hurts just thinking
about a new day of work), get to a doctor.

A little over a year ago I had wrist surgery on my left wrist, with a
plate put in, due to a motorcycle accident.  I had an excellent doctor
who took the time to shape and attach the plate to allow full-range
motion...but on top of that, I was careful to keep my ergonomics correct
while returning to the job, and it has completely recovered without any
signs of carpal problems.  I just started doing pushups a month ago,
however, and while the wrist is finally up to taking the pressure, I
have to psych myself up for them every time.  :-)  Nothing like three
failed bone-set attempts in the ER to make a guy nervous.  LOL

Tim
Tim Furry
Senior Systems Administrator
Denver Public Schools

You are currently subscribed to wdvltalk as: unknown lmsubst tag argument: ''