Riva:

CSS properties would be found in an object's "style" property. The JavaScript names are the same usually as the CSS names, only the JavaScript equivalent of hyphenated names is to remove the hyphen and capitalise the second word. The values you give them are the same as the CSS values

For example...

obj.style.display = "block" is the same as display: block
obj.style.marginTop = "10px" is the same as margin-top: 10px

I had a look at the link you gave and couldn't see what you were referring to I'm afraid. From what I gather from your post though you want the form to move up and down depending on whether or not a menu dropdown is visible or not.

Personally, instead of setting the CSS top property of the form (presumably that's what you're thinking) I'd just write your HTML to have your menu dropdowns as block elements inside your document flow (i.e. not position:absolute which makes them floaty layers over the top of everything else) and then use display:block or display:none to switch them on and off - the document flow will change depending on if the menu is physically rendered or not and the browser will shunt the form up and down accordingly.

Dead rough example:

<form>
   <input type="text" value="This is a text box" />
</form>

If you set the second paragraph's display CSS to "none" it will physically not render which will shunt the form up a bit underneath paragraph 1. If you then set paragraph 2's display back to "block" it will render and the form will shunt back down again.

Have a look at http://thenvqcentre.co.uk/funding.php (it's not quite finished yet so watch out for weird floating) and select you want to train for NVQ Level 2 (allow pop-ups for this one if you have to). You'll see how the yes | no block shunts down every time a new question is confirmed, as do the end messages.

Is that the sort of thing you're talking about, only being able to shunt upwards too?

MOU

Portman wrote:
Hi all,

I was wondering if it is possible to find out the value of a css property (using JavaScript) and then change it? For example, I have a form under a drop down menu. The client wants the form to move down as the menu expands. I made the drop down menu using jQuery and I have figured out how to get the form to drop when the menu opens, but I cannot figure out how to get the form to move back up again, or drop a different amount depending on which link in the drop down menu the user clicks. Does that make sense? The page is here: http://www.legacyfoundation1.org.

TIA,
Riva

____ � The WDVL Discussion List from WDVL.COM � ____