From: "David Precious"
On 09/19/2008 10:51 AM, joseph harris wrote:
Riva,

I've just been banging my head against the wall. The problem is
no mystery [except to me at this moment!]. Neither browser is
picking up any SSI. It looks as though the css is working.

SSI is server-side (hence the name) so the browser has nothing to do
with it.

I can see I'll have to test on a host - it's just so much easier
to do locally!

This may be a stupid question and I don't mean to offend or belittle you, but you are accessing it via a webserver on your box (i.e. the address bar starts with http://) and not just loading the file directly
(with the address bar showing file://), right?

Right. And it is a good question David - but I haven't regressed that far ;-). Access is through the localhost server thus http://127.0.0.1/control_your_debt/. The software is Apache via the EasyPHP 2.0b1 bundle on dear old XpSP2. CSS is picked up but on html, shtml files there is no SSI processing - no error messages, no blank screen.

I don't know if the clue is in Firefoxe's refusal to parse shtml, yet deigning to print the source in the main window. So far as i know - and this is not recollection, but the file that worked for this previous website - this is correct calling
<!--#include file="zin-sub-form-goldblock1.txt"--> and
<!--include file="spw-tailpiece-sp.txt"--> . These two [and others] are certainly text files in the same folder.

.htaccess reads
AddType text/.html .shtml
AddHandler server-parsed .shtml
Options Indexes FollowSymLinks Includes

More ideas welcomed [tied a cushion to my head but still banging the wall].

Joseph