steve miller wrote:
Hi all.

I have read a bit about having web directories that are world writeable.
Some say that they are a security hole and some say they are not.

I have used open source applications like oscommerce and have had several of them hacked, finding php files placed within the images directory. My host claims it is because the images directory is world-writeable and someone uploaded files into it.

Having the permissions set to 777 means that any user who has an account on that server could write to that directory.

For an attacker to upload stuff there, it's almost certainly nothing to do with the directory being word-writable, but due to a badly-written bit of software which accepts uploaded files and stores them in a web-accessible path.

For instance, a forum script which allows users to upload avatar images, and stores them in a folder called avatars, so that if you upload myavatar.jpg, it would then be accessible at http://www.example.com/avatars/myavatar.jpg. Some attacker then uploads evilscript.php and the badly-written forum software doesn't bother to check whether what it's receiving is what it expected, but simply writes it to the avatars directory. Now, the attacker goes to http://www.example.com/avatars/evilscript.php, and the script executes, game over.

For that common scenario, the permissions on the avatars folder weren't the problem, the problem was with badly-written software.

Cheers

Dave P