[P.J. Eby]
>> Actually, latin-1 bytes encoding is the *simplest* thing that could
>> possibly work, since it works already in e.g. Jython, and is actually
>> in the spec already...  and any framework that wants unicode URIs
>> already has to decode them, so the code is already written.

[Armin]
> Except that nobody implements that

So, if nobody implements that, then why are we trying to standardise it?

Is there a real need out there?

Or are all these discussions solely driven by the need/desire to have
only unicode strings in the WSGI dictionary under python 3?

Which is a worthy goal, IMHO. Java has been there since the very
start, since java strings have always been unicode. Take a look at the
java docs for HttpServlet: no methods return bytes/bytearrays.

http://java.sun.com/products/servlet/2.5/docs/servlet-2_5-mr2/javax/servlet/http/HttpServletRequest.html

But the java servlet spec still ignores *all* of the encoding concerns
being discussed here. Which means that mistakes/mojibake must happen
all the time. And it's up to the author of the individual java web
application to solve those problems, using a mechanism appropriate for
their needs and local environment.

Java programmers just tolerate this, although they may curse the
developers of the servlet spec for not having solved their specific
problem for them.

Alan.