At 01:37 AM 8/27/2010 +0200, Armin Ronacher wrote:
Hi,

Is there a status update on that now I missed? Did something decide on bytes for the environment values or are we still unsure about that?

To the extent we're "unsure", I think the holdup is simply that nobody has tried doing an all-bytes WSGI implementation -- unless of course you count all our Python 2.x experience as experience with an all-bytes implementation. ;-)

(Of course, that experience won't help us with Python 3 stdlib issues.)

At that point I don't care at all about what is decided on as long as something is decided. Can someone please stand up and just do that? :)

Essentially the problem right now is that unless such a choice is made, there's little hope of getting the stdlib issues to be resolved, because we can't exactly file bug reports against the stdlib if we don't know what we want it to do. ;-)

My personal inclination is to define WSGI 2 as a bytes-oriented protocol, and then encourage people to port to WSGI 2 before moving to Python 3.

In theory, if we did it correctly it could actually minimize the porting pain for Python 3.

In practice, I'm not sure how to do this, as I lack experience with 2to3 at the moment, or any production experience with Python 3 whatsoever.