I’ve updated my copy of the PEP, re-naming non-commentary and non-revision text
to reference WSGI2, wsgi2, or wsgi (environment variables) as appropriate.
I’ve also added the first draft of the text describing filters and some sample
code, including a middleware adapter for filters.  Here are some additional
notes:

        https://gist.github.com/719763 — filter vs. middleware
        http://dirtsimple.org/2007/02/wsgi-middleware-considered-harmful.html

It might be worth another PEP to describe interfaces to common data to
encourage interoperability between filters/middleware, such as GET/POST data,
cookies, session data (likely using Beaker’s API as a base), etc.  Also
something I’ve been exploring is automatic resolution of middleware/filter
dependance by utilizing “uses”, “needs”, and “provides” properties on the
callables and a middleware stack factory which can graph the dependancy tree.

On a side note, I do not appear to be receiving posts to this mailing list,
only the out-of-list CC/BCCs.  :/  And here I’ve been getting used to reading
and posting to comp.lang.python[.announce] on Usenet.  ;)

        — Alice.