Richard - I've been trying to get this working but am not having any luck.
 I have the lazy_options_widget working with the first field being a
suggest_widget, but am trying to implement with your suggestion above using
a SELECT element as the first field, but it isn't working.  I'm using this
in an edit for generated by a smartgrid and am using the following for the
FIRSTFIELDNAME as you have it above.

benefit_benefitProgramId

This is the ID associated with the first field when I look at the HTML that
is generated.  I think I'm following along with the javascript ok, but
don't understand why my code isn't working.

Any tips on what to look for?  Did you actually have this working in a
sample?

Any help would be appreciated.

-Jim