I have slightly modified the WebClient to support jsonrpc. I am not sure
everything is correctly covered, but it is suiting my needs.

In case you are interested, you can see the changes here:

https://github.com/gonvaled/web2py/tree/webclient_add_jsonrpc

The biggest problem I had was
that opener.addheaders.append((key,str(value))) is not working as (I)
expected: the content-type is not rewritten:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/13920211/not-possible-to-set-content-type-to-application-json-using-urllib2