Hi.

I have a grid object that I'm using to update records.
I'd like to be able to limit the input value of field B based on the fixed
value of field A when the update button is clicked for that record.

For example:

step, outcome
1, A
1, B
1, C
2, C
2, D
3, A
3, D

So if step==1 for a record, the 'outcome' dropdown on the edit page should
display 'A','B', and 'C' when
the update button is clicked for that record. Similarly, 'C' and 'D' should
be displayed if step==2.
Note that the value for the 'step' field is constant for that record, it is
not a field that can be updated, so it's not a dropdown.

I've been trying to use the "requires" method on field B, but I can't
figure out how to send the value of field A
_for a specific record_ to that method. I've seen
"request.vars.<fieldname>" but that seems to
work only after the form is submitted and I'd like to see the options for
field B _before_ the field is
submitted.

Can I handle this using only web2py or do I need some javascript?