I liked this option most.

Here is the function I derived from this:

def rows_transpose(rows_obj):
    """transposes a rows object

    input:    a rows object selected from the data base
    output:   a html table of the transposed table

    This can still be improved by using the headers attribute of the
    SQLTABLE and a CSS alogn attribute
    """

    tbody=[]
    for col in rows_obj.colnames:
        fld=col.split('.')[1]
        r=[TH(col,_scope='row', _style="text-align : left")]
        for row in rows_obj:
            r.append(TD(row[fld]))
        tbody.append(TR(r))
    res_table=TABLE(tbody)

    return res_table

Although the numpy version was faster, this function gives more
control over the html output.

I would be great if such a functionality could be included in web2py!

I still have the following questions:

* How can I retrieve and use the default field lables set in the model
as colnames?
* When I put this function in an extra module file and save this in
applications.myapp.helper.py
I get the following error:

File "applications\myapp\modules\helper.py", line 27, in
rows_transpose
r=[TH(col,_scope='row', _style="text-align : left")]
NameError: global name 'TH' is not defined

Why this? How can I have modules which are awar of the web2py
namespace in the modules folder?
Or shall I leave such helper functions in the default.py?

Regards,
Timmie