as Johann already mentioned overwriting all your .py files will not change
you database so you should be fine doing that
if you do not wan to do this manually you can e.g.

use a version control system and exclude the content of the databases
directory
then on the client side all you have to do is svn up or hg pull; hg update
I have worked with that for a couple of years and it works fine, but there
are some small issues that you have to take into account.

similar should works with sync tools if they work with ignore patterns

or create you own update mechanism. this is what i ended up doing since i
do not want extra software on the locations where my client apps run. so I
created plugin_release for pyMantis
https://sourceforge.net/scm/?type=hg&group_id=304012&source=navbar which is
similar to the web2py packaging mechanism (I copied some code) but it does
not include the contents of the databases, sessions, and erros directories.
Next to the packaging mechanism it also has mechanisms to download and
install (unpack, overwrite) these packages based on version numbers. I have
used the plugin in several projects over the last year and found it to be
quite stable.