Thank you for the replies, guys! I think my abstract/trivial example may
have obfuscated things a bit. I'm trying to use the IS_IN_SET() validator
in combination with a custom validator (yet to be fully written) to make it
so that all the elements of a dropdown menu/select are taken from a given
set of options (a list of file formats), and for the selected option (file
format), the custom validator will make sure the file is in that format.
Something like this might be a better description than the initial post:

Field('f_file_format, type='list:string',

requires=[IS_IN_SET(theset=list_of_acceptable_options,zero=T('make a
selection'), error_message=T(some_error_message)),
                      CUSTOM_VALIDATOR(request.vars.f_file_format,
request.vars.file, error_message=T(some_error_message2))]

> )

To clarify - I'm not seeking to let the user be able to select multiple
options from the drop down list. Maybe it's better to implement the custom
validator functionality I'm looking for in the controller, or can it be
done in the model? Thank you.