> The thing is, what Niphlod suggested works on localhost, but does not work
> on free pythonanywhere account. Server does not return 200OK for any
> request while _recalculate function is running. I searched their forums and
> indeed threads are disabled on pythonanywhere. So I guess it does not work
> because of that. I have no other hosting options right now to check...

I find hard to believe that accounts are restricted to one request only at
a time.

I used the word "threads" because by default web2py executes every request
(and db transaction) in a separate thread.
Be sure that what you read on the forum is that pythonanywhere doesn't let
you to open a new thread inside your code, that is all a different story.

Anyway, if pythonanywhere really has the limitation of one request at a
time, basically you can't get what you want, because you need at least two
requests alive at the same time (the one that does the long processing and
the one reporting progress)