i use the regex router, and have this in one of my projects:

             ('/promo/(?P<f>.*)', '/appname/promo_page/signup/$f'), # promo
codes to the promo_page controller

so this takes a url like /promo/freestuff and sends to
/appname/pomo_page/signup/freestuff  i think essentially doing as you ask.

not sure how to do this using the parametric router.

cfh