Hi Alec,
if I were you I would remove the 'inline' parameter from both
response.optimize_css response.optimize_js, just to keep the page lighter
and to leverage on the browser cache for the external resources.
Moreover, +1 for having something 'automatic' for using somehow the browser
cache, in this case the 'somehow' is not clear to me yet.

Paolo