True, but... Apache is not raising errors, web2py is. The error message is
strange. At least we could have a nicer error if this can't be fixed.
However in my example, both instances work until i try to log in. I can use
the site without database i/o. Both instances work.

Now, why would web2py (1) raise an exception when working with database (2)
because the apache (3) configuration is bad ?

Sometimes the testing instance fails on login, sometimes it is production
instance...

I'd like to see more about Tamas's problem.