I found a cleaner solution after some digging. In db.py, after creating the
auth object, include the line:

auth.settings.register_fields = ['id', 'first_name', 'last_name', 'email',
'password']

or if when you created the auth object you passed in username=True, include
the line:

auth.settings.register_fields = ['id', 'first_name', 'last_name', 'email',
'username', 'password']

This list is by default None, which actually means grab everything from the
auth_user database fields. By setting it to a fixed list, you can control
which of the auth_user fields are actually used in the registration form.