> I had seen (but haven't really studied) PEP257;
Me too. I completly reply on the numpy standard as most of my programs
are scientific...

> WOW - did I have to dig to find the docstring source for that arctan module;
>  it looks like it's just docsting - the extensions (I suspect) have to do
> with this being in a file of just docstrings for generated functions.
No need:
> ipython
[1] import numpy as np
[2] np.arctan?
Here you have it!

Other examples:
http://docs.scipy.org/doc/scipy/reference/generated/scipy.optimize.ridder.html
http://docs.scipy.org/doc/scipy/reference/spatial.distance.html

Among other, three extensions on numpy are important:
processing docsting content:
http://projects.scipy.org/numpy/browser/trunk/doc/sphinxext/numpydoc.py

Generation of ReSt files like arctan:
http://projects.scipy.org/numpy/browser/trunk/doc/sphinxext/autosummary_generate.py

The allowed sections are in
http://projects.scipy.org/numpy/browser/trunk/doc/sphinxext/docscrape.py

Note: The sections are non complusive = You can specify Parameters,
Returns but do not need to include a Examples Section.