Darin...

Interesting project....

Web2py is a great solution platform.....

Your process model is not clear to me...

That said...

One key advantage of Web2py is the database abstraction layer (DAL)..

You can try many different approaches and any of the supported database
systems with very little effort.

So, just keep working the problem and asking questions..

Have fun,

Joe

On Sat, Jun 1, 2013 at 4:30 PM, Darin Lawson Hosking <dari...@gmail.com>wrote:

> I am new to web2py and python programming so bear with me.
>
> As a learning project (career change) I am trying to build a useful app
> based on my current skill set.
>
> I Would like to know if I am going in the right direction or is there an
> easier way?
>
> This a synopsis of what I want to model.
>
> Lets look at the process.
>
> 1. List of issue's.
>     Everyone places weight / ranking on each issue
>
> 3. Weighting is based on a scale from 1 - 5
>     Average the weighting and develop a stack ranking=(average score)
> "with" (count votes) "participants"
>
> 4. Objectives is a child of Issue table.
>     (comments, ranking, discussions etc..)
>
> 5. Action is a child of objectives
>    (comments, ranking, discussions etc..)
>
> Develop a checkpoint / dashboard to monitor the activity votes/posts etc..
> (possible social signals aka twitter, google news,  etc..)
>
> Question is should I go with separate table for each or what would be the
> most robust for future expansion?
>
> Such as
> DB = Issues
> DB = Objectives
> DB = Actions
> DB = Ranking
>
> if so how do I do the linking etc..
> I have messed around with the
> "Field<https://127.0.1.1/examples/global/vars/Field>
> ('obj_parent', type='reference major_issues', notnull=True,
> label=T<https://127.0.1.1/examples/global/vars/T>
> ('Obj Parent')),"
> but not quite understanding how to move forward with the views / reports
> aka do I use smartgrid vs a query etc..
>
> Please be gentle :) I have been using web2py for 2 days.
>
> Thanks in advance
> Darin
>
> --
>
> ---