Personally I don't like captcha image, before delving into the
implementation of whatever like that it is worth to try the honeypot
mechanism namely a 'hidden field'. A field that if filled out allow you to
distinguish between user and robots requests. The field it is hidden by css
properties real users aren't able to fill it.
More here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honeypot_%28computing%29  Actually,
I have never tested if that really works!
we could think about implementing it as an option for web2py, it would be
very welcome.
Finally, it seems that web2pyslices.com registration has got a captcha,
have you already implemented it?

Paolo