I just have this snippet as the first code (after imports) in my
models/db.py:

from gluon.custom_import import track_changes
track_changes(True)

I don't use the condition that is recommended:

if request.is_local:

I seem to remember having trouble when that condition was present. So I
just remember to comment out the two lines when I move the app to
production. (These problems may also have disappeared. It was a while ago.)

Maybe also try reloading routes (from the admin dashboard)? I'm not sure if
that would be necessary or not.

Ian