Thanks for the responses everyone.
I've tried the welcome app n read through the docs, things were a breeze to
set up.

I'm now at the data modeling stage for my app.
I'm quite familiar with bigtable, and most probably going to deploy my
startup live on app-engine for the initial launch.

Now my question:
the data model I would design if backend were mySQL, would be quite
different from if it's bigtable.
and I see the DAL layer tries to abstract away this logic providing a
sql-like interface so that backends can be switched.
What are best practices if we were to go the app-engine route?
Does using web2py make things slower? I know NDB support is in the works...
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/web2py/Tek9hreXC3U/a5Wo210ekF0J
but would that let me take advantage of powerful features of NDB?
Do ppl using app-engine with web2py use DAL?
Can we directly talk to app-engine from web2py?