I just tested this with a simple app using postgresql database and it seems
that it doesn't quite work.

It appears it will leave the string data that exists in the string field
alone in the database, however web2py will interpret it such that the first
and last character are truncated.  For example:

"hello" -> "ell"
"something" -> "omthin"
"world" -> "orl"

As soon as you add another list item to the string, then web2py will
truncate the original string's first and last characters in the database in
addition to adding the new item.

Migration back from list:string to string will preserve whatever
list:string data is there (in the web2py representation format).

"hello", "world" -> "|hello|world|"
"one", "two" -> "|one|two|"

Would it make sense for the migration process to handle this more
gracefully?