My <web2py-root>/routes.py currently has:
# -*- coding: utf-8 -*-

# default_application, default_controller, default_function
# are used when the respective element is missing from the
# (possibly rewritten) incoming URL
#
default_application = 'init'    # ordinarily set in base routes.py
default_controller = 'default'  # ordinarily set in app-specific routes.py
default_function = 'index'      # ordinarily set in app-specific routes.py

# routes_app is a tuple of tuples.  The first item in each is a regexp that
will
# be used to match the incoming request URL. The second item in the tuple is
# an applicationname.  This mechanism allows you to specify the use of an
# app-specific routes.py. This entry is meaningful only in the base
routes.py.
#
# Example: support welcome, admin, app and myapp, with myapp the default:

routes_app = ((r'/(?P<app>welcome|admin|app)\b.*', r'\g<app>'),
              (r'(.*)', r'myapp'),

For a basic example of routing www.example.com/someapp/default/contact to
www.example.com/contact what needs to go in the <web2py-root>/routes.py and
what needs to go in the <web2py-root>/applications/someapp/routes.py?

If I'm using application specific routing does this mean I should leave
routes_in and routes_out completely alone in <web2py-root>/routes.py?

Also for specifying errors, do I use routes_onerror in
<web2py-root>/routes.py or <web2py-root>/applications/someapp/routes.py?