Ok I was confused because the books says (
http://www.web2py.com/book/default/chapter/09#Settings-and-messages)

The following is a very important setting:

auth.settings.hmac_key = None

It must be set to something like "sha512:a-pass-phrase" and it will be
passed to the CRYPT validator for the "password" field of the auth_usertable.
It will be the algorithm and a-pass-phrase used to hash the
passwords.

Do you think the book should be modified to reflect that this is
automatically done already?

I see in a different section it says:

The password field of the db.auth_user table defaults to a CRYPT validator,
which needs and hmac_key. On legacy web2py applications you may see an
extra argument passed to the Auth constructor: hmac_key =
Auth.get_or_create_key(). The latter is a function that read the HMAC key
from a file "private/auth.key" within the application folder. If the file
does not exist it creates a random hmac_key. If multiple apps share the
same auth database, make sure they also use the same hmac_key. This is no
longer necessary for new applications since passwords are salted with an
individual random salt.

But it wasn't clear to me whether I should set it or not as the two
sections kind of go against each other.