Interestingly, now that I've got a fresh install of web2py with only the
Welcome app, my Welcome vs command line test shows a consistent 2x
discrepancy, just as you had observed.

My next step is to gradually add back all the other apps I had in web2py (I
had 8 of them!) and see whether the discrepancy grows with the number of
apps. That's the theory I'm working on.

Yes, yes, I know, according to the Book, I shouldn't have so many apps
installed in web2py. This apparently affects performance. But the truth is,
most of those apps are hardly ever executed, so their existence merely
represents a static overhead in web2py. In my mind, this shouldn't widen
the discrepancy, but you never know.