Thanks Anthony.

> First, take grid out of BEAUTIFY -- not necessary.

Thanks, done.

> Does db.t_dogs happen to have a field called "name"? If so, change the
> name of your extra input element to something other than "name".

No, it doesn't.

> Also, when typing in your input field, open the browser developer tools
> and see if (a) you get any JavaScript errors in the console

No.

> and (b) an
> Ajax request gets sent to the server.

Yes - but I knew that because I get a change in the display. It just
isn't the change expected. To reiterate, when the Add form is displayed -
in other words, while the grid is *not* displayed - typing in the form
displays the whole grid in the Ajax target area.
--
Blog: http://goo.gl/iOwv1w

"You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone
who will never be able to repay you."