good work.  data just refers to the dictionary.  When you open up your json
file you just see a dictionary with one key that points to an array.
By saying data.dashboard_data you are then directly referencing the value
of the key, ie. the array in the dictionary.

There are several ways to do this which I must post to web2pyslices soon,
but yours is one of them, and it works !

web2py with d3 is a good combo.   I plan to do a lot more with the two
combined.