I think a framework like web2py shouldn't break by default, and work only
if you know which parameter to set.

Anyway here's a better example:

db.define_table('person', Field('name'))
db.define_table('other', Field('show_trigger', 'boolean'))

db.person.name.show_if = (db.other.show_trigger == True)

form=SQLFORM.factory(db.person, db.other)

If I do as you suggest and add table_name='person' during form definition,
web2py.js won't be able to match the data-show-trigger : other_show_trigger

The code I suggested fixes this though.