Thanks for the replies. I went to a meetup last night for the Bay Area
python group (not the Bay Area Piggies group), which is one of the largest
if not the largest python group in the North Bay. I also looked into
setting up a more permanent meetup group for web2py. Here are my
conclusions and reasonings about how to go forward with a web2py meetup.

We should leverage the existing python group to spread knowledge of
(evangellize) web2py. The python meetup is a large, established group with
the necessary infrastructure to organize meetups. I think it will be hard
(for me) to start a web2py group from scratch because I don't have the
connections to big internet companies to find a venue that would host the
meetup.

I spoke to the organizers of the python meetup regarding having a web2py
session. They were quite open and receptive to the idea. Some of them
remembered Massimo's talk a couple of years ago. One of the organizers
volunteered to me that there was some negative sentiment surrounding web2py
in the python community, but when I dug deeper, it seemed to be rumor and
innuendo, nothing concrete. Seems like the usual controversy that has
dogged web2py since day 1 for reasons unknown to me.

Therefore, Massimo, if you're out here in November, let's have you do a
short tutorial on web2py (30 to 45 minutes). Then I, and hopefully someone
else (Jonathan, Joe?), can give testimonial talks on what we like about
web2py and give concrete examples of how we use it for enterprise-grade
solutions. I am prepared to put together some examples of cool things you
can do with components, rpc calls, multiple forms on one page, etc. The
testimonial talks should also be 30 to 45 minutes so in total, there's more
web2py-user talks than Massimo talk in order to lend greater credibility to
the information exchange.

I would also use the occasion to poll the gathering to see if there's
enough interest to start our own web2py meetup group.

The organizers said that if I wanted to drive such a meetup for the python
group that they would also like to invite competing frameworks to give
talks, like Django or Flask. That's possible, but I think if we have enough
web2py-user speakers we can probably get the full 2 hours for web2py talks.

Let me know what you think. Massimo, if you're here in November, there's
enough time to organize something great for that time frame.