Yes. The new dal broke the automatic update process. Sorry.

What do do:
1) remove the file dal.py
2) download web2py from the web site (the zip one) and unzip it over the
existing web2py. Overwrite any file that you may have. This will restore
the new gluon/dal/*.py files.

An upgrade to 2.9.13 (not out yet) that skips 2.9.12 will fix the problem.