Try this (untested)

categories_used = [x.category for x in
db().select(db.news.category,orderby=db.news.category))]

categories = db(db.news_categories.id.belongs(categories_used).select(
db.news_categories.name)

Johann

On 9 March 2015 at 18:53, Gael Princivalle <gaelprinciva...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>  Hello all.
>
> I've got some news categories:
> db.define_table('news_categories',
>                 Field('name', type='string', requires=IS_NOT_EMPTY(),
> label='Nome'),
>                 format = '%(name)s')
>
> And some news:
> db.define_table('news',
>                 Field('title', type='string', requires=IS_NOT_EMPTY()),
>                 Field('body', type='text''),
>                 Field('category', 'reference news_categories', requires =
> IS_IN_DB(db, db.news_categories.id,'%(name)s'),
>                       represent=lambda id, r: db.news_categories[id].name))
>
> How can I select only the news_categories that have almost one news of
> that category ?
> Now I've got all categories.
> categories=db().select(db.news_categories.ALL)
>
> Thanks.
>
>  --
> Resources:
> - http://web2py.com
> ---
> "web2py-users" group.

Because experiencing your loyal love is better than life itself,
my lips will praise you.  (Psalm 63:3)