That's an interesting approach indeed. Thanks Niphlod :)

Well, in the end my company hired a SEO consultant and our conclusion was
that we need to build a drill-down navigation instead of one page
containing the whole tree.

E.g. :

*country*

   - administrative_area_level_1
   - administrative_area_level_1
   - ...

Then if you click on any of the leaves :

*administrative_area_level_1*

   - administrative_area_level_2
   - administrative_area_level_2
   - ...

And so forth.
As you said "a webpage holding 200 locations and requiring 800 queries is
not a webpage a user would need".

Search engines know that and disregard pages holding more than 200 links,
so a clean routing and drill-down navigation is the right answer for this
SEO issue

Hope this helps other people :)