On Friday, June 12, 2015 at 8:36:43 AM UTC-4, zimani wrote:

> I have this code:
>
> def author(id):
>     if id is None:
>         return "Unknown"
>     else:
>         user = db.auth_user(id)
>         me=db(db.auth_user.id ==
> id).select(db.auth_user.usealiasname).first().usealiasname
>         if me==False:
>             return '%(first_name)s %(last_name)s' % user if user else ''
>         else:
>             return '%(aliasname)s' % user if user else ''
>

> I want to check if the user with a particular 'id' wants to use an
> aliasname or real names. However it wont work. i know for sure this line is
> the one that is wrong because without the condition it prints properly. can
> somebody help. i am sure its simple but i cannot seem to figure it out.
>
> me=db(db.auth_user.id ==
> auth.user_id).select(db.auth_user.usealiasname).first().usealiasname

In the function code you showed above, you have db.auth_user.id == id, but
here you have db.auth_user.id == auth.user_id. Which code are you actually
using? Is id supposed to be the same value as auth.user_id? If so, your
"me" variable is unnecessary, as you are simply fetching the same record
that you have already stored in the "user" variable.

Anthony