On Wednesday, July 15, 2015 at 8:53:35 AM UTC, Massimo Di Pierro wrote:

> This logic was added somewhat recently and I did not test it myself but
> reading the code it seems it should work this way:
>
> 1) run websocket_messaging.py  -t to enable the token message
> 2) post a message to the /token API with a message containing a made up
> UUID token. This will create a token on the server
> 3) when connecting instead of
>
>    ws://127.0.0.1:8888/realtime/mygroup
>

> use
>

>    ws://127.0.0.1:8888/realtime/mygroup/<token>
>

> because of -t , the <token> must match one of the registered token and no
> other client must be using it for a connection. Notice that in 2 the /token
> api is meant to be called by the web2py server. Works like the post
> handler. The message is supposed to be created and signed using the server
> password.
>

> The idea is when a new cllient accesses the web app, the server create a
> on time token for that client, gives it to the client (via normal web2py
> means, embedding in the pages, etc.) and registers it with the
> websocket_server. The latter then checks the token when the client tries to
> connect.

I don't understand how this happens? The token that I use to start the
websocket_messaging.py via -t option, that token doesn't change, so which
token does the server create to give to the client, and how does it
register it with the websocket_server. Are the tokens unique for each
client? and if so how are they generated and registered to allow
communication? how different is the token for the -t option from the token
the server creates? I'm a bit confused how to use this. The english makes
sense but the technicality behind it is still fuzzy. Like, from what I
understand, the server creates a token when the client first connects and
gives it to the client. when the client tries to send messages via the
websocket, it has to add the token to the message via
url/realtime/group/token. I still don't know how to implement this (if
that's what you're saying even means.

A simple chat app implementing just this can help my understanding, I'm
only asking. But some further explanation will also do until I can
understand.
Thanks.