And of course I find it within a minute of posting... lol

Here is my solution:

in model:
db.define_table('table2',
         Field('field1','reference table1'),
         Field('field2','reference table1', requires=IS_IN_DB(db,
db.table1.id, '%(field2)s')),
         migrate=False)

in controller:
db.table2.field2.represent = lambda s,r: s.field2
grid=SQLFORM.smartgrid(table2)
return dict(grid=grid)

Hope this helps someone in the future. Time for beer!