I know this is an old thread, but nowadays this isn't actually entirely
true.

Yes, Nginx will manage gzip compression like a boss, but if you use cloud
hosting solutions, you may not be able to use it.
Heroku for instance explicitely requires the web application to handle the
compression of responses itself.

I haven't found a library that does on-the-fly gzipping of strings or
streams yet, but if you just want compression then it can be done with zlib
(using the deflate algorithm)