These are different problems. Even you could do "as", which you
technically an but it is complicated, would not rename the web2py
column.

You can rename the column without the "as".

rows=db(..).select(...)

rows.colnames is a list with the colnames. You can change any element
in this list as you please. Look what is in there first.

Massimo