Thanks for that DenesL,

I already worked out why the font was messy and suspected web2py was adding
the class but it's good that someone has confirmed the details.

I came across this problem when cutting and pasting a demo from bootstrap
website so I assume their code is good.

Adding a class like that seems an odd thing to do, especially as there is
no mention I can find in the documentation.

If we are stuck with this behaviour for some good reason, then maybe the
text-shadow attribute could be amended at the same time as the class is
added?