What you want to do is not supported by the grid out of the box. You could
hide the standard Edit button and instead create a custom button/link for
editing, though you would have to write the code to generate the form
interface and handle the database updates. Alternatively, you might
consider the smartgrid, which allows you to navigate a set of linked
tables, though the UI experience is different from what you've got now (you
only view one table at a time, but you can then link to associated records
in other tables).

Anthony