Ok. I think I got it... I started developing my application long time ago
based on a welcome app. I have updated web2py regularly, but I have not
updated original welcome application files that are specific to web2py,
such as web2py.js It appears that there have been changes there as well,
but they are not handled properly by the update procedure... Once I
replaced the web2py.js for my application with a newer version, it works
now fine.

Perhaps these dependencies should be re-thought? Maybe they should be moved
out of application tree into somewhere else? Framework-wide js folder, or
something... It is not clear how to make sure they are up to date without
manually checking after every web2py update...

Anyway - thank you for your support!

Cheers,
Krzysztof.