I vote option 2, but with up votes to previous points about web2py does not
need to stick with 100% backward compatibility and maintain "bad code". As
Carlos Cesar pointed out, 90% of compatibility is a good level and with a
good migration guide it would not be a harsh. Python 3 already showed it to
us, and many other frameworks took some similar approaches (Django even,
Angular 2 for instance) and they are alive and with many developers around
until today.