On Wednesday, February 24, 2016 at 4:57:43 PM UTC-8, Lucas Schreiber wrote:

> I have read the book. But it doesn't state where to actually write the
> code snipes given. Both, the book and google is very fancy about explaining
> how to start a scheduler by the console. But i literally do not see how i
> can start the scheduler.

<URL:http://web2py.com/books/default/chapter/29/04/the-core#Scheduler-Deployment>

the -K option starts a process which runs the scheduler.
You can use the -X option with it to only have 1 instance of Web2Py
running, with the Rocket server providing the internet access.
If you are using Apache or Nginx, I suppose you don't use -X, but I'm not
quite graduated to that class yet.

(in the command-line options section,
<URL:http://web2py.com/books/default/chapter/29/04/the-core#Command-line-options>
the -K is illustrated as "-K SCHEDULER",
which might be confusing if you don't see that "SCHEDULER" is either the
name of your app, a list of apps, or a list of app groups.)

> If i write this into the controller,
>
> scheduler.queue_task(
>     task_1,
>     pargs=[],
>     pvars={},
>     start_time=now,           #datetime
>     stop_time = None,         #datetime
>     timeout = 60,               #seconds
>     prevent_drift=False,
>     period=60,                  #seconds
>     immediate=False,
>     repeats = 1
> )
>
> it atleast creates  the tables and populates one of the tables with an set
> of records(scheduler_task) and does so whenever i call the function. But it
> only works as long as the function is in the same controller. if the
> function is in the modules, an error is returned. When i put this into the
> model, it creates the tabels but does not populate any of them.
>
> some possible reasons why it does not run i have made up are:
> -i'm queueing tasks but not creating a worker to work on them (but the
> book doesnt state anywhere to create a worker. I think therefore this cant
> be the solution)

This is the explanation.  The -K option described at the above links is the
key.

> -the function isn't defined proper and the worker does not know what to do.

This would probably result in an error being logged in the scheduler_run
table which you can look at to debug.  (I am, of course, familiar with
that!)

Good luck!

/dps