On Thursday, March 17, 2016 at 12:55:05 PM UTC-7, P Page-McCaw wrote:

> I have a pretty simple web2py application that inputs information about
> academic seminars and then displays the seminar notices on our departmental
> home page. It is called, creatively, SeminarCalendar. This is hosted by
> pythonanywhere. It has all of 4 tables. 3 of which have 3 fields or fewer.
> It gets very little traffic, a big day might be 1000 hits.
> [...]
So I guess I have a bunch of related questions:
> First, what is the best way to fix this! These tables are small and the
> included data is not critical, but...
> Second, what on earth did I do to get tables from one app mixed in with
> tables from another app? I'd like to avoid this in the future! (Very
> embarrassing to have the Chair look at the page and ask what Error ticket
> means!)
> Third, as a biologist, not a programmer, should I not be messing around
> with web2py? If I've missed something really obvious, I think I should go
> back to my test tubes. It was remarkable how 'easy' it was to set this app
> up. And what an improvement it was over what the Universities equivalent
> was.

For the first 2 questions, it will be helpful if you tell us what OS your
web2py is running under, and if a network drive (or "share") is involved.

That said, I have never had the problem of files from one application
interfering with another, but most of my "multiple application" servers are
really only serving one application except for a few experimental accesses.

For the 3rd question, I'd say that web2py is a better environment for
beginners than most environments are.  You should be able to manage both
your test tubes and a simple site. The only way to be safer (in the "I'm
not a programmer and don't play one on TV" sense) that I know of would be
to do one of those sites the phone companies seem to be pushing, where you
don't do much more than paste text and upload pictures.

/dps