The documentation has this:
"|response.render(view, vars)|: a method used to call the view explicitly inside the controller. |view| is an optional parameter which is the name of the view file, |vars| is a dictionary of named values passed to the view." .. http://web2py.com/books/default/chapter/29/04/the-core

The result of the method call can then be saved as a file.

Kiran Subbaraman
http://subbaraman.wordpress.com/about/