I had tried that and tried it just now but still gives a None value in the
rated_items.search_term field. maybe it's got to do with the table def; my
table definition is as follows:

db.define_table('rated_items',
    Field('search_term','string'),
    Field('user_id', 'reference auth_user', default=auth.user and
auth.user.id),
    Field('item_id', 'integer'),
    Field('clicks', 'integer', default=0),
    migrate=True,