I got the error above while trying to rewrite and tidy up some code that I
had working but didn't do everything I wanted.
This is a lot neater but it doesn't work yet I think I am close!

I have a person table and a task table where task.person is type
'references person'

This is the code (not working and has never worked) so all I can say is I
know it's wrong...

def generate_inv_details():

    session.inv_details = []
    session.inv_total = 0
    today = datetime.date.today()

    query = db( (db.task.person.belongs( session.company_persons)\
              & (db.task.start_time <= today )\
              & (db.task.charge_to == 'COMPANY' )\
              & (db.task.task_status == 'BILLABLE')))

    rows=db(query).select( db.task.person,\
                           db.task.person.name,\
                           db.task.title,\
                           db.task.start_time,\
                           db.task.duration,\
                           db.task.task_type,\
                           db.task.task_status,\
                           db.task.charge_to,\
                           db.task.charge,\
                           db.task.payment_status )

    session.inv_details=rows

    for row in session.inv_details:
        session.inv_total += row.task.charge

Is this totally off the wall and not even close?
Is there a problem with the format of the select statement? (which I
suspect is the issue)  or
Is there a glaring problem elsewhere?

You will have to trust me when I say I have put hours of frustration and
reading into this and I only post here as a last resort!

Many thanks for your consideration!

Peter