I had a probably similar problem that I solved by patching pydal.
See https://github.com/web2py/pydal/issues/403
<https://github.com/web2py/pydal/issues/403#issuecomment-238115508> and
https://github.com/web2py/pydal/pull/404.

However, as mention in the issue thread,  the change shall be done in
web2py.

Alas, I did not have time to try to reproduce with a more recent web2py.
If you use a recent web2py and the dal PR#404 solves the problem for you,
then I propose that you open a new bug in web2py.

Best regards,
-Mathieu

On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 9:17 PM Jacinto Parga <jpar...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The same error when I try to register an user: Unable to send email.
>

> Mail.send failure:coercing to Unicode: need string or buffer, lazyT found
>
> I don't know what to do
>

> El domingo, 31 de julio de 2016, 8:36:02 (UTC+2), Massimo Di Pierro
> escribió:
>
>> OK. will check this today.
>>
>> On Friday, 29 July 2016 15:40:26 UTC-5, webm...@trytha.com wrote:
>>>
>>> Nope, same error in:  2.14.6-stable+timestamp.2016.05.10.00.21.47 (the
>>> source code off the web2py site).
>>>
>>> If you want me to try a nightly or something, let me know.
>>>
>>> The only semi-unique thing about my app is that I allow usernames for
>>> login as well.  Here is my default/user():
>>>
>>> def user():
>>>
>>> db.auth_user.first_name.writable = False
>>> db.auth_user.last_name.writable = False
>>>
>>> # NOTE: This is an addition I found that enables using usernames
>>> (default is email as login).
>>> if 'login' in request.args:
>>> db.auth_user.username.label   = T('Username or Email')
>>> auth.settings.login_userfield = 'username'
>>> if request.vars.username and not IS_EMAIL()(request.vars.username)[1]:
>>> auth.settings.login_userfield = 'email'
>>> request.vars.email            = request.vars.username
>>> request.post_vars.email       = request.vars.email
>>> request.vars.username         = None